Thursday, May 19, 2005

The rush hour bee

So yesterday I'm driving home from work and traffic's a bit slow. That's what I get for leaving 15 minutes late - puts me right smack in the middle of rush-hour. So I'm only going about 20 mph with my window down about 2 inches. I feel something hit the top of my head and my first thought was debris came in my window from the truck next to me (highly unlikely, I know.) So I touch the top of my head and don't feel anything and therefore don't think much of it...until I look down and see a bee on my gear shift! Okay, I have this fear of bees. Especially in enclosed spaces. I jump a little as I see it, swerving to the right and almost hitting the car next to me. (glad I wasn't going faster.) I grabbed a napkin and smooshed the bee as hard as possible, the whole time trying to not crash my car. Then I was afraid to pick up the napkin in case the bee wasn't dead. So for the rest of my drive home I was alternately looking at the road and checking to make sure the napkin hadn't moved. Then I started thinking, what if the bee was on my head and I touched it and got stung! Or, what if it landed in my jacket hood, or in my shirt or a gazillion other things.

See, I'm the girl who starts swatting her hands around when a bee is near. I will even go so far as to run away from them, even as someone calmly says "Oh don't worry, they won't sting you, just stay still and they'll leave you alone!" Sure, I'll just sit right here while it buzzes all around me. Yeah, okay. I haven't been stung by a bee in, oh, 20 years, yet I have that memory of how bad it hurt when I was, so of course I think it's going to be horribly painful. I really need to get over that.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh.. now my skin's all crawly. i HATE bees. i wasn't afraid of them till i got stung by one.. and now i know better!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Erin...sometimes I seriously think we were separated at birth. So many of the same quirks, er.. habits :) I am CRAZY SCARED of bees. I start doing these awkward dances and make public scenes whenever a bee buzzes around me. YOU CANT RUN FROM THEM, unlike snakes or spiders. *heebie jeebies*

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEK!!! I hate bees! I normally run from them like a crazy person, but once when I had Maddie and Elle, a bee was about to sting Elle...so like SUPER MINDY, I FLEW to her rescue and tried to step on it...except I had on flip flops and my foot FLEW to the side and I got stung. Yeah. It was great ;)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahhahahhahahahhahah!!!!!!!!!!
dork!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

glad you're ok, erin! bees in cars. not a good situation! =)

rebekah

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am *such* a runner when it comes to bees/wasps/anything that can sting! I probably would have stopped my car in the middle of the road and jumped out! Good for you for smushing it with a napkin.. though, you know.. it could have stung you through the napkin.. or even worse, could have been still alive and *mad*! :-)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home